While they may not seem like it, stretch marks are actually more challenging to get rid of than to fend off. Such marks are often caused by a rapid weight loss or gain. Nevertheless, there are some preventive measures that you can take to avoid this problem, and keep your skin smooth and healthy. To give you an idea about this measures, we’ve listed down some of the best approaches to prevent the ugly tears from occurring.
- Stay Hydrated. Keeping your skin hydrated at all times is one of the easiest and simplest way to prevent stretch marks. When your skin lacks elasticity, it gets ripped apart as it stretches due to weight fluctuations or pregnancy, which is why it’s important to maintain a healthy and supple skin. Moisturize your skin frequently, and drink plenty of water so that you can stay hydrated inside out.
- Include Fatty Acids in Your Diet. It goes without saying: Maintaining a healthy diet is essential for having a healthy skin. If you’re dealing with stretch marks, however, then you should learn to eat for your skin elasticity, which means including fatty acids, protein, and vitamins A, C and E into your diet.
- Take Some Zinc Supplement. Zinc deficiency is another cause of stretch marks among women, which is why incorporating zinc-rich foods, such as beef, lamb, cashews and eggs into your diet, or taking a zinc supplement will really help in preventing stretch marks from appearing.
- Improve Circulation Through Dry Brushing. Even in the past, dry brushing has been considered as a good exfoliating method to remove dead skin cells that are preventing your skin from absorbing your moisturizers. Other than that, this method is also believed to promote collagen production by stimulating and stretching the connective tissues that are responsible for developing stretch marks.
- Try Using Retinoid. Once stretch marks have developed, getting rid of it is just close to impossible. Luckily, there are now some prescription-strength retinoids that you can use to encourage collagen production and accelerate your skin’s cell turnover. This treatment is effective, but experts suggest to avoid using topical retinoids when you’re nursing or pregnant, since they’re unsafe for most pregnant women.
Getting rid of stretch marks is really challenging. But by keeping your skin healthy and hydrated, you’ll surely be able to prevent these marks from appearing, while preserving your smooth, radiant skin.