It is undeniable that internet did so much for our civilization. Singapore will not be this progressive without the help of internet. Apart from industry applications, internet also made an impact in the education of Singaporeans. However, the accessibility to information gives other people the power to troll over our personal things easily. This is the reason why we have to look out for hackers that might steal our information.
We have to know about Dark Web. Dark Web specifically refers to sections of the internet that are normally inaccessible to its users without software that make users anonymous. The term was first heard after the Silk Road trial. The Silk Road trial convicted Ross Ulbricht for running an online narcotics store. It did not end there because there are plenty of places or stores on the Dark Web.
The good news is that Trustev (a fraud protection company) exist. The company seeks to help internet clients from getting ripped off of money and identity. Trustev observes and monitors activities within the Dark Web. Trustev identified different markets that sell illegal and bizarre things on the Dark Web. Here are some:
- Credit card selling: There are sites that will ask us to input our credit card number. We have to be cautious when they ask this because most likely, they will steal it and sell it to other people. Sellers will trade credit cards for only $17 with $3,500 credit limit.
- Netflix Lifetime Warranty: Sellers will pay for the Netflix account using stolen credit cards. The sellers will trade the lifetime warranty for only $1.
- Online lottery: In an online lottery, there’s official and there’s illegal. We will know if it is illegal if you do not need to pay taxes when you win. The clients will simply buy bitcoin tickets and wait for the draw.
- Fake degrees: There are people who offer a diploma for whatever school the client is interested in. If the client wants to have a degree in any Ivy League school, for sure there are people who can give it to them for a price. A diploma costs $425.
- Stolen Uber accounts: Uber is a popular application which allows customers to submit a trip request for taxi drivers. There are people who hacks Uber accounts and sell it for only $15 in the Dark Web.
People are really getting creative these days. It is difficult for other people to live an honest life because of different circumstances. If we do not want to be victims of their modus, we have to be careful of the information we give.